Phone: (805) 405-3764 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Consummate editing, publishing, and journalism and social media professional with many years of experience in print and digital as a copy editor, proofreader, Web content editor, and social media manager. Successful record of editing excellence, editorial decision-making in high-pressure deadline situations, attention to detail and sound news judgment — all while managing and consulting with various teams and clients. My areas of editing concentration runs the gamut from entertainment and lifestyle content to public policy and hard science, social science, business, and travel. I am well versed in both AP and Chicago manuals of style.
Copy Editing • Excel • Proofreading • InDesign • Social Media Management • WordPress • Social Media Content Production • Acrobat Pro • Publication / Project Management • MS Word • Fact Checking • PowerPoint • AP and Chicago Style • Mac / PC • Writing / Blogging
COPY EDITOR AND PROJECT MANAGER, CURRENT
California Institute of Technology — Pasadena, Calif.
Copy editing, publication management and social media management for the Institute’s marketing and communications department.
• Copy editing, proofreading and fact checking all of the Institute’s publications including press releases, news stories, quarterly magazine articles, annual reports, brochures, and internal communications in print and online using house style and Chicago Manual of Style.
• Management of Institute’s social media accounts* including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as helping to craft Institute’s social media guidelines, policy and annual strategy. *Since taking over management of Institute accounts, followers and engagement on all platforms has increased 150 percent.
• Created external style guide for campus-wide use
• Project management and publishing of Institute’s annual course catalog
• Management of Institute’s departmental directory; recently teamed with campus IT department to create new, streamlined CMS for more responsive updating
FREELANCE COPY EDITOR, 05/2005–08/2017 Malibu Magazine — Malibu, Calif.
• Freelance copy editor, proofreader, and fact checker for bimonthly celebrity and lifestyle magazine (circ. 30,000) covering Malibu and surrounding communities
• Singular responsibility for developing content guidelines for house style as well as helping young, new writers reach a more sophisticated editorial quality
• Helped set up editorial scheduled
COPY EDITOR, 02/2009–04/2012
Miller-McCune Research Center — Santa Barbara, Calif.
Copy editing and website/social media content editing for the research center’s magazine (circ. 100,000) and accompanying website (150,000 unique visitors)
• Responsible for upholding the highest standards for Miller-McCune print and online products in grammar, house style, and Chicago and AP styles • Assisted with intensive fact checking of stories for accuracy
• Daily content management and database maintenance for center’s website
• Managed publication workflow and deadlines throughout production process
• Managed roster of freelance fact checkers and copy editors
• Created editorial calendar and house style guide for new print product
• Spearheaded the center’s social media presence on Facebook and Twitter
• Assisted with marketing stories to other media that directly increased site traffic and search engine visibility
• Wrote occasional stories for the center’s website
FREELANCE COPY EDITOR, 01/2011–01/2012
Valley Performing Arts Center — Northridge, Calif.
• Copy editor, proofreader, and fact-checker for programs, brochures, and marketing material for California State University, Northridge’s brand-new state-of-the-art performance center
• Developed editorial house style where there was previously no editing of any kind done on editorial products
• Oversaw quality assurance, ensuring outside content conformed to house style, while maintaining the voices of the various content providers and writers
DESIGN EDITOR/NEWS EDITOR, 09/1996–02/2009
Los Angeles Daily News –Woodland Hills, Calif.
Senior Editor (2005-2009)
• Management of multiple team design projects
• Planning, design, illustration and art direction of daily broadsheet- and tab-format feature section covering the entertainment industry, food, home and garden, and health and fitness content to incorporate companion online news component
• Helped lead regional consolidation of design and news resources as the paper centralized satellite operations
• Wrote and managed a Harry Potter-themed entertainment blog aimed at children and adult fans
• Copy editing News Desk Editor (1996-2005)
• Nightshift position entailed wearing many hats including editing, designing pages, copy editing and writing headlines, managing copy flow and monitoring wire services for breaking news
California State University Northridge • Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, 1992 • Collateral field in American Literature
Member of the American Copy Editors Society